- A maximum of 120 points is possible for each tune. The specific categories appear below. Each category is worth 20 points.
- Rhythm and Timing: Judges will look for even, consistent rhythm. Rushing, dragging or unevenness in the performance will result in lost points.
- Creativity: Judges will look for variations, improvisations and “good licks”.
- Authenticity and Taste: Judges will look for selections of authentic performance styles in each category. Indiscriminate use of variations that make the basic tune unclear will result in lost points.
- Expression: Judges will look for the feeling that the contestant puts into his/her performance. Flat, mechanical, unfeeling performances will result in lost points, as will “excessive showmanship”.
- Execution: Judges will look for tone quality and clarity. Bad tone and muffled notes will result in lost points.
- Command: Judges will look for strength and confidence in execution.
In the Fiddle contest only, the judges will consider strength and confidence in bowing technique, maintenance of bow position with respect to strings and bridge, and use of appropriate amount of bow and bowing dynamics.